Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Weekends

Matthew had an extra special date at the park last week.....Danny!

Matthew was so excited and as we waited, he watched every person who walked towards the park and said "Nope, not Danny yet". When he did see Danny in the distance he ran to him and it seemed that no time had passed. Danny and Matthew have a special bond. I can't imagine where Matthew would be without Danny's influence in his life. They were together Monday through Friday for over 2 years and through lots of rough days.

We love you Danny and will always be grateful for you!
***********
Sunday we were so excited to take Matthew to "Snow Day" at the Great Park in Irvine.....until we got there. There were HUGE lines, it was over crowded and barely any snow. Still, Matthew was happy to be there.

Matthew and Dad attempting to build a snow man with the little bit of snow they could muster.


As meager as the man made snow was, Matthew still had fun. Just check out his smile.

He thought the igloos were so cool. What a handsome boy!
*********
An update for HBOT, we have put it on hold for now. HBOT can increase stimming behaviors and even though we saw gains we are now struggling with stimming behaviors that we had not seen in months. Lots of perseveration, verbal stimming, echolalia and lining up of toys, etc. I guess it always feels like you take 2 steps forward and 1 or 1 1/2 steps back. I love Matthew so much and just wish it were easier for him, it hurts to see him struggle. He had an exceptionally bad day at school today and as I scolded him he said "I am sorry Mommy. I try harder. I have a hard time". Just about broke my heart. I am so proud of my incredible son and I will do whatever it takes to help you reach that amazing potential I see in your beautiful face.

3 comments:

EP said...

Oh my goodness. I would have probably cried Sylvia...

And I am so glad y'all are keeping up with Danny. I think he is so fabulous, and can honestly say that I wish I could have taken him with me when I moved, he is such a great therapist. But then, y'all wouldn't have had him. And clearly Matthew needed him :)

Tell him "hi" for me when you see him again!

Hugs to the big boy Matthew!
Elizabeth

Theresa said...

Looks like fun. I am sorry to hear Matthew is having a rough time.
Let me know how the doctor's appt goes.
Kisses!

Roxy said...

Thank God for people like Danny. Kristina has an incredible teacher this year that knows her triggers and willingly modifies things to keep K moving forward...to catch up with that step we just took back...deep breath, deep breath
I just can't believe how grown up Matthew looks. Handsome boy for sure!