Friday, May 15, 2009

Talking to Dr. H

I don’t have a photo but today we had one of those “wow” moments I want to remember. Matthew spiked a fever this morning so I rushed him to the doctor (he can go from 98.6 to 104 almost instantly). My poor baby was feeling pretty awful and was crying. The doctor walked in and this was their conversation….yes, I said conversation.

Dr. H : Hi Matthew
Matthew: I go home, go Matthew’s house. Bye Dr. H. Please go away.
Dr. H: Why are you crying Matthew?
Matthew: I am sad
Dr. H: Why are you sad?
Matthew: Matthew feel sick
Dr. H: What hurts Matthew?
Matthew: (he just cried)
Me: Matthew, tell Dr. H. what hurts? Can you show me what hurts?
Matthew: Throat hurt.

So they may not have been discussing world politics but Matthew had a 4 part exchange! Our doctor almost fell over! Even he is blown away by the progress we are seeing. To think of how far my baby has come takes my breath away. We are nuts about taking photos and videos (if you have not noticed) and we see the videos we took at this time last year and Matthew was just saying “I want …..” and that simple carrier phrase with different words thrown in to let you know what he wanted was the extent of his language. No commenting, asking questions and no back and forth exchanges, only requesting. We are so proud of what Matthew has accomplished and how hard he works each and every day. It confirms to us that even on a bad day, we know that the time will come where autism will be a distant memory. Great job little sweet pea!
In the end, poor Matthew had a high fever and double ear infection which made its way to his throat. Poor angel, we hope you feel better soon. XOXOXOXO

3 comments:

Roxy said...

I can almost hear his sweet voice and his beautiful smile missing because he doesn't feel good :-( I am so happy of his progress in a year.
That's our boy!

Anonymous said...

OMG- that is soo amazing- i am so greatful you get to witness these wonderful moments of progress- Gabby

Anonymous said...

I'm blown away with the convo he had with his doctor! Matthew's really come a long wways! He's got some awesome parents!!! -anna