Thursday, September 24, 2009

Daddy's Birthday

A busy few days for us..............
Saturday we went to Temecula to celebrate Devin's birthday. I thought this was a cute photo of Matthew with his cousins.

Sunday morning Mark went to Vegas with his brother Kirk for a few days of golf, fun and R & R for his b-day. They had a beautiful suite at the Venetian with a great view of the strip. Of course pictures were the last thing on Mark's mind but he did take a few.


On Mark's b-day we decided to surprise Matthew and pick him up from school for a visit to Disneyland.


It was not crowded but boy was it hot! We went to Tom Sawyer's Island. Matthew had fun but I think it will be a bigger hit once the weather cools down.

He was really good about trying some new things this time and kept saying "Mom, I wanna go more rides".


He was beat on the way home so I tried to give him a lollipop and keep him awake.
Didn't work!

He just could not keep those big brown eyes open a moment longer!
Truth be told it was a fun day but the last hour was hard. The two weeks or so have been very difficult. I think it is partially because Matthew's schedule has changed and he is having some challenges adjusting. We have been dealing with some really tough behaviors, tantrums and all the fun that goes with having a child with autism.
I hate autism and wish my son could be typical...... I am grateful for the progress he has made, progress I would not have believed 2 years ago. I know that we have much to celebrate but I am not feeling it lately.
Regardless, I love my son beyond measure and feel blessed when I see that beautiful face.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Happy Birthday Mark!
Sorry you guys are having a rough time with Matthew.
XOXOXOXOXO

Trojan Fan said...

Super cute blog. That picture of Matthew asleep with a sucker in his mouth was so funny. LOL!

Roxy said...

Happy BD Mark! Yeap, I hate those momemts of dysregulation. The thing that keeps me sane is seeing the behaviors for what they are, a way of expressing fear and frustration. Hugs to you, kisses to Matthew.